A broader scope for Enough

Bonjour,

In the past year, as I’ve dedicated the majority of my time to work on technical projects, I happily used Enough to build and maintain both personal and professional infrastructure such as https://forgefriends.org. And it is a good experience that also is a strong incentive for me to keep contributing such as the Debian GNU/Linux bullseye migration which is almost complete.

I’d like to propose that the scope of the Enough Community is changed so that it also welcome participants who are engaged in activities other than helping journalists and human right defenders. Although it was the primary focus during the first years, it turns out to be more generally useful as time passes.

In the same way decisions were taken in the past, I therefore propose that the current scope of Enough is modified to become the following. If nobody objects within four weeks, the proposed changed will be final.

Enough is a platform to self-host online services, in the cloud or on bare metal.

It starts as a service providing the same functions and level of security as an online storage provider (such as DropBox, Google Drive etc.). And it can be progressively upgraded with more sophisticated measures, starting with 2FA up to an airgap machine dedicated to decrypting classified documents. Most of Enough users are non technical users who don’t require highly specialized software (such as a forge or an intrusion detection system). The cloud option is simply “enough” for them: it is what they understand. As they learn about more sophisticated techniques, Enough adapts and upgrades to match their skills, moving from the cloud to dedicated hardware when required. In the long run, Enough contributes to a change in culture and enable its users to rely on self-hosted, durable and secure infrastructures.

A community of individuals provides support and hosting for Enough. Anyone interested is welcome to join the conversation in the forum.

The diff:

-Enough is a platform for journalists, sources and human rights defenders to communicate privately and securely.
+Enough is a platform to self-host online services, in the cloud or on bare metal.

It starts as a service providing the same functions and level of security as an online storage provider (such as DropBox, Google Drive etc.).
 And it can be progressively upgraded with more sophisticated measures, starting with 2FA up to an airgap machine dedicated to decrypting classified documents.
-Most of Enough users are journailists or human rights defenders who don’t require the highest-level security option provided by systems like SecureDrop.
+Most of Enough users are non technical users who don’t require highly specialized software (such as a forge or an intrusion detection system).
 The cloud option is simply “enough” for them: it is what they understand.
-As they learn about more sophisticated techniques, Enough adapts and upgrades to match their skills.
-In the long run, Enough contributes to a change in culture and enable its users to the most private and secure communication channels as a default.
-
-* Leak platform for sources to anonymously send documents to journalists and human rights defenders
-* DropBox, Google Drive alternative to exchange documents with colleagues, activists and sources
-* In the cloud, self-hosted or on-premises
+As they learn about more sophisticated techniques, Enough adapts and upgrades to match their skills, moving from the cloud to dedicated hardware when required.
+In the long run, Enough contributes to a change in culture and enable its users to rely on self-hosted, durable and secure infrastructures.

A community of individuals provides support and hosting for Enough.
-Organizations supporting investigative journalist or human rights defenders are welcome to join and get the help they need.
+Anyone interested is welcome to join the conversation in the forum.

or

-Most of Enough users are journailists or human rights defenders who don’t require the highest-level security option provided by systems like SecureDrop.
+Most of Enough users are non technical users who don’t require highly specialized software (such as a forge or an intrusion detection system).

Among other things, chapril organization aims to provide services for non technical users, such as a forge.

Which services do you plan to drop ?

1 Like

This proposal is not about dropping or adding any services. It is only about the scope in which such services are intended to be used, the audience of such services.

It has been over four weeks and there has been no objection, the decision will be implemented.