About the Prepare FOSDEM 2019 category

Collective preparation for the Decentralized Internet & Privacy Devroom at FOSDEM 2019.

Welcome Speakers and Supporters!

You have been given access to this conference because you are helping with the preparation of the ActivityPub Round Table, or your proposal was selected for the DIP devroom and we need to coordinate with you – and you among yourselves – to prepare for a successful FOSDEM 2019 edition.

Speakers Deck
ActivityPub Round Table

I’m going to invite all people who wanted to participate in the round table and all identified people who implemented a public free software project using ActivityPub. If you think I missed anyone, please invite them yourself, or ask me to do so!

If you were invited because of this action, you’re welcome to introduce yourself.

Invited

This list is quickly running out of sync with reality, so if you don’t see yourself, please add your entry!

ActivityPub Editors

• Chris Webber
  • Erin Shepherd
  • Amy Guy
  • Evan Prodromou (unsure about email, used @prodromou.name)

Funkwhale

• Eliot Berriot

Mastodon

• Eugen Rochko

Pleroma

• kaniini
  • lain
  • href
  • eal

Plume

• Igor Galić
  • Baptiste Gelez
  • Madeorsk
  • Trinity Pointard

To be invited

(Please forward invitation to these people if you know them personally. Invite anyone you deem important to the ActivityPub discussion. This is a wiki…)

Speakers Deck

Hi there, I’m just checking in since i received an email invitation :wink:

I’m not sure I’ll be physically present, however, I’ll follow the discussions with interest :slight_smile:

Introduction

I’m Eliot Berriot, Funkwhale’s maintainer. I live in Marseille, France, and work full-time on this project, which is roughly three-years old now.

The idea behind Funkwhale is to build a decentralized, free and self-hostable audio server where people can share and enjoy their music, podcasts, engage with their favorite creators, etc.

To implement the “decentralized” part of the roadmap, we’re in the process of implementing ActivityPub. This is still a work in progress, but we are successfully using the protocol to federate audio content between Funkwhale instances, and federation of user activity should kick-in during the first quarter of 2019.

I’m rather new to the decentralized stuff, so I’m interested in anything that can make the implementation and maintenance of an ActivityPub server easier. Another project I want to start in 2019 is to work on a small specification targetting content creators and consumers to help them send/receive donations, because I think it’s one core missing features of the decentralized internet.

I’m also interested in everything related to account migration/redirection and single-sign-on, but I never actually worked on this :smiley:

Thank you for the invitation anyway, I’m looking forward to an interesting discussion!

Hey Eliot, thank you for your introduction. I guess I should do one as well… But before that I wanted to insist on your presence at FOSDEM; Brussels is not so far from Mars and there must be a direct train. :slight_smile:

Thanks as well to @Elza, @trinity.pointard and @rhiaro for responding to the invitation! And happy new year to all, let’s make it ActivityPub year :wink:

hellekin’s intro

I’m here wearing my hat of co-organizer of the Decentralized Internet & Privacy Devroom at FOSDEM 2019. Last year I presented there about getting EU funding for free software. In 2017 I was appointed to the programming committee of the French free software meeting in Saint-Étienne, and in 2018 I participated in the organization of the revival of the Trans Hack Meeting in Tarnac after 12 years of hyatus. As I knew the DIP devroom team wanted out, I was interested in following up, and @loic had the good idea to take the plunge and make it happen. So here we are.

In a previous life, coming from the Dyne.org free software activist network, I participated in a decentralized project called Lorea (2009-2012), which was a collection of Elgg plugins implementing OStatus federation, GNUPG encryption for groups, and other collective organization features that were used to foment the Spanish Indignados movement. After this, in 2012, I was part of a conspiracy of P2P developers who gathered in Berlin to discuss mass-organization and funding of the free software movement to ensure perennity of the resistance. We’ve been working over the last years together to make the Internet technical community recognize P2P systems (it partly worked), and to develop free software-friendly economic support. I’m now part of—with a non-profit I set up in Brussels with @natacha, called Petites Singularités—a couple of EU consortia that mean to redistribute EU funding to free software projects – feel free to discuss the matter with me and how we can help you get some funding, especially if you’re doing search & discovery (e.g., ActivityPub :wink: ) or Privacy-Enhancing Technologies.

When you come to Brussels, make sure we meet, so we can share the best beer in town!

So happy this is starting,

I am committed with @zeyev to the moderation of the first part of the round-table during Fosdem. Our proposition is to put in discussion modalities of community organization from the fediverse, in regards to feminist thinking, and its benefits to community organization.

Coming from free software and artistic collective practice, I am engaged in a number of feminist free software projects in Brussels (samedies) and internationally (eclectic tech carnival), that look not only into creating a favorable environment and a place to share practice and knowledge, but also to critically transform our technological practice and its organization, understanding feminism as a crucial path to transform social organization. As @how mentioned petites singuleritésis also my home where I am also concerned with collective and feminist practice among other things in video games.

As we have been observing, our community from the fediverse seems to address quite clearly ethics and behaviour in most social spaces (using CoC for example) however, we scarcely take the time to think through interaction within our community itself, from the relation in between projects or within projects. Because technological sovereignty does not start in the last kilometer (when the project is user ready), we need to think the sustainability of our projects and communities.

Many of us are aware of dysfunctional social processes happening leading to conflicting situations and hindering not only our relations but our also our capacity to act, having possible consequences for the development of the projects, and the humans who develop them.

We feel a number of those organizational issues have already been encountered in other domains, and many problems been already addressed in a transformational manner by radical feminist thinkers. Our intention is to understand with you how feminist approach based on respectful exchange, accountability, context aware interaction, non hierarchical interaction, challenging conflicts, power sharing, celebrating diversity, equity and inclusion can balance and nurture our organisation. We feel the actual dynamism of the fediverse, and activity pub related developments is a great moment to think those issues together.

Hello, my name is Marius, I currently reside in Berlin and I’ve been involved with open source for a long time in one capacity or another, but mainly as a developer.

I am the maintainer of an(other) ActivityPub library for Go and on top of it I am creating a reference integration in the form of a minimalist link aggregator similar to (old)reddit and Hacker News.

The working name for this project is littr.me and it uses ActivityPub federation as a method to solve the problem of the dissolution of interests that appears in communities that manage to outgrow their original scope. (As an example, I have reddit and the propagation of memey and low effort content in what used to be a strictly technical forum).

Basically, in my opinion, having a lot of small instances with well defined interests should offer better methods for any one participant to isolate themselves from unwanted content and interactions. How to implement these methods for isolation is still unclear - at least to me. :smiley:

This is the reason why I am here, and I hope that these discussions will shed some light in this respect.

Hey I am Cory. On mastodon I am @cj@mastodon.technology. I am living in Zurich and am originally from the USA.

I am the sole developer of go-fed, a comprehensive two-part ActivityPub implementation in Golang:

• ActivityStreams (Completely code-generated Serialization and Deserialization) Library
  • ActivityPub (C2C and S2S)

Little-known fact: go-fed was started before ActivityPub was published as a final specification (Dec 2017). I filed a lot of bugs early on in either the spec or the examples, due to the spec-as-data code-generation validation approach I took. However, I’m a comparatively slow developer, so it didn’t have its first release for half a year.

I am actively working on a much improved v1 that I hope spurns the creation of ActivityStreams extensions. This has been a relatively unexplored area of ActivityPub that MoodleNet, ValueFlows, and ForgeFed have begun exploring. But it will allow the existing microblogging-heavy Fediverse to also overlap with these education, economic, and code forge Fediverses which enables app developers to really create the kind of mixed experiences that larger silos cannot provide.

I aggressively lurk and since about November 2017 I’ve been struggling to keep up with all the different threads outside the sphere of go-fed: from SocialCG minutes, Pixelfed’s dev, to Pleroma and Mastodon devs, to talking to the MoodleNet folks, to talking to ownCloud devs, to the ValueFlows or ForgeFed folks. I just try to learn and stay up to date. Since I’m in the realm of supporting Fediverse devs (the ones wanting to use golang), the users I tend to care about are the Fediverse devs themselves and where their interests lie.

I am happy to say that I am failing to lurk simply because there are now so many people interested now compared to this time last year. The list at https://ethercalc.org/fediverse-stacks simply continues to grow at a phenomenal rate for a grassroots-driven protocol.

Thanks for inviting me to the round table!

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the invitation! I’m Matt, a developer from Florida. I’m primarily working on WriteFreely, a minimalist, federated blogging platform, and Read.as, an ActivityPub-enabled reader – both written in Go.

WriteFreely started as a partially-open platform called Write.as four years ago. Its goals were to make anonymous publishing accessible to everyone, and to be a long-term place to write on the web. After getting immersed in the fediverse and running a Mastodon instance for a while, this past July I added support for ActivityPub on the platform, and then made the whole thing free/open source as WriteFreely in November.

Read.as was built from the start to be a social feed reader for the fediverse – particularly so people can enjoy a clean reading experience in one place as more long-form platforms like Plume, WriteFreely, and others start getting more use.

Besides the technical stuff, I’m interested in building tools that non-technical people can use (and enjoy). And I like figuring out creative ways to build a sustainable organization, where the products / services it creates can support the people making them, and allow them to remain independent.

I’ll be at FOSDEM this year, and in Brussels the days before/after the event. I’d love to chat with everyone in person, and I’m happy to help in any way I can leading up to it!

Hi everyone, as @natacha wrote I will be co-moderating the first part of the Fosdem roundtable. She already explained very well why we are doing this and what are our expectations, so I will not repeat that part. I will just say that I am also very happy that this thing is happening during Fosdem and I am looking forward to meet you all in person.

I have been (and mostly still am) involved in different free software related communities. I don’t have a real technical expertise, so I mostly work in organizational and communication stuff -and while doing it slowly learn technical things. In the past I have been active as a member of the Italian Wikimedia chapter and the international Wikimedia community. In the more recent years I have been mostly involved in the Italian hackmeeting community trough the hacklab of the city I live in (one of the ongoing projects is a radio show: if you understand Italian you can listen to some old episodes here). In 2018 I was one of the co-organizer of the Eclectic Tech Carnival.

I like to talk about feminism in free software communities and to talk about free software in feminist communities. I think that, since both communities share a set of very important core principles, exchanges and contaminations between them can be beneficial to both: free software developers can provide invaluable tools and technical knowledge to feminist groups, while feminist practices can improve software design and organizational processes by providing an “outsider” perspective rooted in centuries of reflection on power, representation, inequality and all these tedious -but existing- issues.
So my not-so-secret aim here is to persuade you that what I just wrote make sense -or, if you already think it does, to discuss ways in which it can be put into practice.

Thanks for the invitation!

I’m Jeremy, and I’ve been working on an ActivityPub WordPress plugin called Pterotype, as well as a PHP library that integrates a full C2S and S2S ActivtyPub server into existing projects. I’m really excited about the potential that the Fediverse offers, so I’ve made it my mission to try to spread it as far as possible - the bigger the network, the more valuable and therefore the more viable the Fediverse becomes. My long-term hope is that ActivityPub becomes the same sort of protocol as HTTP - ubiquitous, easy to build on top of, and taken for granted. WordPress runs 30% of sites on the internet, so it seemed like a good place to start.

I won’t be able to make it to FOSDEM in person, but I’m looking forward to participating in the discussion here with all of you fine folks.

BTW there’s a Social WG IRC meeting in the next hour: https://www.w3.org/wiki/SocialCG/2019-01-09

(Something happened: the meeting did not happen. But some people were present so I could mention this space…)

I just joined this discussion group but have been looking forward to the Decentralized Internet session for some time! My name is Hank Grabowski. While I’ve contributed to open source projects for several years they have been more niche areas like Apache Math, Hipparchus, and the astrodynamics library Orekit. In the latter part of last year I decided to fully deep dive into being an open source contributor concentrating on the decentralized web, specifically federated social networks. I’ve been contributing code to the Diaspora project a lot the last few months, the biggest single component being bringing the API from 25% done to complete status (still in PR and early testing). Besides contributing to the core Diaspora software baseline I have a great interest in the broader Fediverse as well, which includes wanting to see Diaspora integrating with the ActivityPub-enabled places in some way as well.

Being new to the entire community I’m looking forward to meeting everyone that will be in person. This is my first FOSDEM so it will be all new faces. I’m also looking forward to hearing and seeing from everyone on the progress they are making in these areas as well as challenges they have faced. I’m hoping to absorb that as I explore how I’d personally go about doing a Diaspora/AP integration.

Thanks everyone for all of your efforts and I look forward to the discussions at FOSDEM!

Here are a couple thoughts in order to start the conversation, a few lines that are inspired from reading those presentations.

It seems that many of us endorse the issue of sustainability, and feel the pathway to sustainability goes through collective organization, donations, crowdfunding and similar processes organized independently from the community itself.

only @how presents the shared possibility of another level of organisation, where the community as a group would look for channels of funding .

Related to this preoccupation for autonomy is the issue of account migration

The question of autonomy is in all cases recurrent, stating that the fediverse can create different experiences:

However from those introductions I wonder if some of you have thoughts about the implications of scaling up, and what it might represent with regards to the balance between smaller and larger projects, for example when I read:

It feels that it might change many things for the fediverse I am not exactly able to seize what, but I would like to discuss it up, in order to better foresee it.

Great question. There’s a lot of effects. For example, I can see it allowing specific social movements better connecting with the developers creating software, which can increase the amount of grassroots or very-local efforts highlighting local issues. Which is especially important given the long term trend of the demise of local newspapers and local media in America. I’m unsure about other countries. I’ll have to think on this more.

I’m Michael Vogel. I’m one of the core developers of Friendica. I implemented ActivityPub in Friendica. It’s now in the stable release. During the time of the Social WG, I commented in the open discussion list. (I hadn’t been an official WG member)

In Friendica I also reimplemented the other protocols that we support (DFRN, OStatus, Diaspora), so that - I guess - I’m deep into several protocols and especially know their quirks.

I’m also a member of Feneas.

This year will be my third year at the FOSDEM, I think.

I’m from Germany and besides coding, I’m a fan of our regional handball club (Handball Sportverein Hamburg) and I’m traveling to many of their away matches.

We’re now moving to socialhub.network. Hold your horses.

Dear @FOSDEM2019 and @FOSDEM2019-AP members, the move has completed. Some of you who did not post here are missing from the other side. I urge you to activate your account at https://socialhub.network/ to finish the move and keep on grooving the Fediverse!

This category will now be used only for volunteers and devroom organization. Now closing AP-related topics.

Missing from socialhub.network: @Elza, @gandhiano, @madeorsk, @mariusor, @rhiaro, and @zeyev. Please chime in at https://socialhub.network/c/activitypub/prepare-fosdem-2019