A few years back (2017), I documented how to setup an anonymous mobile in Paris. It requires an update because, in 2020, Syma or Lycamobile (most likely others two) now require a proof of identity to activate the SIM.
Does anyone know what exactly is the legal basis for such a requirement ? That would be helpful to update the wikipedia page on SIM cards.
After a few experiments started April 2020, here is what worked for me, with Lycamobile:
- When buying the SIM card in a shop, explicitly ask that it is not registered. The seller has the option of registering the SIM card which makes it impossible to activate the SIM card from the lycamobile.fr web site, it has to be done at the shop and you need to provide an id.
- Go to lycamobile.fr and activate the SIM card using the PUK and the last 4 digits of the SIM ICCID.
- When asked for an id, use a fake such as the one published on the web site of Saint Rémy de Provence
- When asked for an address, use a random one.
- When asked for an e-mail, use a randome on.
The SIM will be activated and it will be possible to setup Signal.
To be continued