Call for Participation

Hi!

Although the mail formally announcing the devroom was accepted has not yet been issued, a mail was sent to the devroom-manager mailing list that states there is Decentralized Internet & Privacy scheduled for Sunday. Unless it’s another devroom proposal scheduled by someone else, we’re in :slight_smile:

The organizers also sent the following about the expected Call for participation:

Firstly, please remind yourself of the expectations on the submission form:
https://submission.fosdem.org/devroom.php

Devrooms normally issue a Call for Papers.

We can also make adjustments to the names of devrooms at this early
stage - particularly if related proposals got combined or you want
to emphasise some little change of focus.

Full details of all talks and speakers that you schedule must be
submitted into our ‘pentabarf’ database which is used to generate our
website no later then 15th December. Please try to complete this a bit
earlier if you can manage that.

The half-day rooms should divide the available time by two and allow a
gap of about 30 minutes in the middle for switchover.

IMPORTANT - Nothing should be scheduled outside these hours:
Saturday 10.30-19.00
Sunday 09.00-17.00
Every year some devroom schedules ignore this and have to get fixed!

Scheduling is done at a 5-minute granularity. You can choose the length
of your talks and they don’t all have to be the same length, but
whatever timetable you choose, you must stick to it rigidly for
the sake of the people watching online and the video automation. Be
realistic about the time needed for questions and the time it takes to
switch speakers. Also discuss schedules with any related nearby rooms
where people might want to move between them if it’s not going to be
overcrowded.

To avoid entering everything yourself, ask people to propose talks
through
https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM19
reminding them that if they already have an account from a previous year
they should reuse it. (Our website links speakers to all their talks
across all the years of FOSDEM.) Then you can use the system to review
and select talks, and transfer them between devrooms if appropriate.

When things go to schedule, most main track talks are selected first,
then the talks that weren’t picked are available to be taken by devrooms.
The lightning talks are selected last and can also pick up (short
versions of) talks that weren’t taken by devrooms.

More details about pentabarf will follow. (We haven’t set up the
devrooms or accounts in the database yet so if you had access last year,
it won’t be working yet this year in most cases.)

We only have a few days but we can adapt the mail sent last year.

Cheers

That sounds awesome, and by the way thanks for all the work so far !

Indeed, that sounds like a good plan.

About that, as far as I remember, and I think this was already mentioned at some point in the discussions this year : isn’t it here that we should pay more attention about how we advice “white valid males”(?) to encourage non-priviledge people from their project to be the speaker instead of them ?

I don’t know exactly how to put this or what’s the right thing to do exactly - just trying to reopen this discussion as it was something deemed important last year. (I think it was discussed at some point last year and a message was later sent about this to complement the original CFP)

This has been a topic of much (in person) discussions over the past few months and two advices made sense to me:

• the call for participation should mention / quote a non white male who intends to submit a talk
  • everyone involved should reach out to non white male speaker they know and remind them abou the opportunity to submit

Fortunately a few good people who have been active in the field for some time promised to do exactly that :wink: I fully intend to remind them about this promise and my hope is that it will contribute to the diversity of the proposals received.

If it turns out a majority of good talks are white male dominated despite these efforts… we will need another strategy.

Reminder for those who like chatting (I do :wink: ), there is a dedicated chat room.

Here is a draft. I made it a wiki, edit at will. If you’re willing to review the proposals, please add yourself.

Welcome to Decentralized Internet & Privacy

FOSDEM 2019 (Brussels, Belgium, February 3rd).

Free Software initial promises were to empower individuals when it came to computing. Three decades later, computing practices are tightly coupled to the Internet ecosystem. PCs are less and less used while smartphones are soaring and data is collected and stored on servers on which we have very limited control as users. What happened to user’s freedom and privacy in the meantime? The outlook is not so great: we have less and less control over our digital environment. Network neutrality is heavily attacked and mainstream software products are usually proprietary or run on servers we don’t have control over. Modern technology has given the powerful new abilities to eavesdrop and collect data on people - with critical social and political consequences.

FOSDEM is a Free Software event that offers free software communities a place to meet, share ideas and collaborate. It is renown for being highly developer oriented and brings together 8000+ participants from all over the world. It is held in the city of Brussels (Belgium). In 2019, FOSDEM will take place during the weekend of February 2nd-3rd 2019. More details about the event can be found at http://fosdem.org/.

On Saturday, February 2nd, the Decentralized Internet & Privacy devroom will be a place for development teams to present the state of their project and future directions, answer questions from the audience and followup in the hacking rooms nearby afterwards.

Call For Participation

There is a bright future ahead of us if we unite our efforts toward decentralized services and Surveillance Self-Defense. This devroom welcomes all technical projects and initiatives, to share their progress and inspire others.

Presentation topics could include:

Technologies and initiatives focused on decentralization

• Community-driven networks
  • Community based around self-hosting or local hosting
  • Self-hosting solutions
  • Ethical hosting providers / alternatives to GAFAM (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, and Microsoft)
  • Decentralized / federated network protocols and platforms
  • Decentralized / distributed instant messaging, file sharing and content storage

Technologies and initiatives focused on privacy

• Anonymous overlay networks
  • Whistleblower platforms
  • Privacy oriented Operating Systems
  • Infrastructure supporting anonymous browsing
  • Operational security: how to minimize the amount of information someone can collect about you online and on the streets
  • Basic threat modeling: what sort of paranoia do you realistically need to have?
  • Steps to minimize damage in the event of a breach

Talks are expected to be technical because that’s what the FOSDEM audience expects. FOSDEM is highly technical, but it’s not enough to be technical, it’s also important to take care of the world we live in. Free software is exactly this kind of technologies that enable cooperation among people, not just technicians. Free software hackers have a responsibility towards their peers and neighbors to help build a world where digital technologies are not only an enemy of the people, but serve citizens’ interests, not just corporate interests. Therefore we invite you to step up with organizational sessions and topics that you care about related to free technologies and the role free software and decentralization can take with regard to how technologies are produced, distributed, and governed.

Practical informations for submission

Expected format for the talks

Suggested talk length is 20 minutes and 10 minutes for questions.

How to submit a proposal?

Go to the dedicated FOSDEM site to submit your proposal. and follow carefully the instructions.

Important: create a Pentabarf account OR reuse your account from previous years if you already have one.

Submission deadline

Deadline for submission will be 26 Nov midnight CET.

Announcement of the final schedule will be on 15 Dec 2018:

Talk proposals will be reviewed by a steering committee:

• Loïc Dachary (Enough // Artisan Logiciel Libre)
  • Nathalie Rosenberg (UX designer)
  • Simon Descarpentries (Acoeuro // Artisan Logiciel Libre)
  • hellekin (Petites Singularités // Artisan Logiciel Libre)
  • ADD YOUR NAME IF YOU’RE UP FOR IT :slight_smile:

Date and location

Decentralized Internet & Privacy will take place all day long on 2 Feb 2018 (Saturday).
The room is to be confirmed (Solbosch campus - Université Libre Brussels, Brussels, Belgium)

Recording of talks

The FOSDEM organizers plan to have live streaming and recording fully working, both for remote/later viewing of talks, and so that people can watch streams in the hallways when rooms are full. This requires speakers to consent to being recorded and streamed. If you plan to be a speaker, please understand that by doing so you implicitly give consent for your talk to be recorded and streamed. The recordings will be published under the same license as all FOSDEM content (CC-BY).

Promoting the Call for Participation

For the record, mail sent to someone with a draft paragraph to add to encourage diversity in the proposals. I tried to write something along the line of “She will submit a talk, why don’t you follow her example?”. But I’m not much of a writer and that may not be the best idea in the world. I’ll keep you updated when/if this conversation progresses.

Wow, do we really need to explain the submission process step by step ??? As a UX designer, I just drop dead :sob: (I should have a word with Fosdem organizers)

The process is explained in the submission page, maybe it isn’t useful to write it back here. The mail is long enough (maybe just a reminder for the account will be needed)

Do we strictly stick to the tech talks ? We should stay open and welcome some political / societal / philosophical talks about the subjects (I think that Privacy especially could welcome such talks).
What do you think ?

We welcome technical and non technical talks.

It’s tricky to phrase right. Maybe:

Talks are expected to be technical because that’s what the FOSDEM audience expects. As an exception we also welcome non technical talks.

The idea is not to discourage non-technical talks from speakers who know the FOSDEM audience. It is meant as a clear statement that the audience is highly technical and that non-technical speakers need to adapt accordingly.

What do you think?

Pentabarf is a subject of endless controversies: you won’t be alone :wink: I’m ok to drop this part, feel free to edit as you prefer.

@Natouille

I really need an employer here ??

only if you want to and iff you are affiliated to an organization. I’m affiliated to Enough but it is not my employer (or anyone else employer :wink: ).

Ok I made some adjustments to make the call lighter (too long is bad).
You can all check

It’s really difficult to word something convincing and quoting someone in particular. Here is what has been proposed instead (additional paragraph). I like it a lot better.

The diversity of speakers should reflect
the diversity of the general population. We hope representatives of
minorities will step forward and submit quality proposals, and with your
help and participation, we look forward to featuring very, very diverse
speakers in our program!

We’re in good shape to meet tomorrow’s deadline :slight_smile:

As @Natouille, I’m concerned with the fact that – I think – people want to get their hands dirty with politics: I propose to replace the second sentence with the following paragraph. The rationale is that if you want to attract “more diversity”, then you need to make it clear there’s room for it.

FOSDEM is highly technical, but it’s not enough to be technical, it’s also important to take care of the world we live in. Free software is exactly this kind of technologies that enable cooperation among people, not just technicians. Free software hackers have a responsibility towards their peers and neighbors to help build a world where digital technologies are not only an enemy of the people, but serve citizens’ interests, not just corporate interests. Therefore we invite you to step up with organizational sessions and topics that you care about related to free technologies and the role free software and decentralization can take with regard to how technologies are produced, distributed, and governed.

I’m editing the wiki just in case someone didn’t take coffee in the morning and skips it. Feel free to edit :slight_smile:

Warning :warning: the room is set on Saturday according to https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-10-14-accepted-developer-rooms/

Good catch! I’ll fix this.

Ha!, I just did :smile:

Well I missed some…

Now it should be OK.

The call was sent, will post a link to https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2018q4/thread.html as soon as it shows up.

There’s someone on Mastodon who volunteered to join the SC but didn’t take action yet.

Can we publish something about it? I think diversity in the SC is important.