Encrypting mail with Evolution

Bonjour,

When someone (for instance Antton Rouget) advertises that they are able to receive encrypted email, how to proceed ? The first step is to ask for the email to be encrypted, via the Options menu:

e0

Ideally Evolution would try and fetch the key from public key servers, but it does not and will display an error message instead:

Failed to encrypt: Invalid recipient <antton.rouget@mediapart.fr> specified. A common issue is that the gpg2 doesn’t have imported public key for this recipient.

To solve this problem, the key must be fetched from public key repositories. It is the purpose of the Seahorse which can be found by pressing the Windows key and entering seahorse in the search field:

seahorse

s0

Clik on the Remote menu, select Find remote keys, enter the email and click Search.

s1

Be patient, it can take a while. If there are no results after a few seconds, close the window and try again. Two consecutive search will not respond in the same way and the servers are frequently overloaded. When the result shows, right click on the line and select Import.

s2

Again, it can take a while to fetch the key from the servers and trying a few times is a valid strategy to workaround the problem if the import fails with an error message after a minute or two. There is no progress bar displaying progress but it does not mean the request stalled.

s3

It is also necessary to instruct Evolution to trust the GPG keys imported, via the menu Edit => Accounts => Mail Accounts => The email from which you send mail => Edit => Security. And check the Always trust keys in my keyring when encrypting option.

Ideally all this would happen automatically but for now it has to be done manually.

Cheers

Do I need to choose both Sign and Encrypt or just Encrypt is enough ?

1 Like

I can’t find the password and keys manager when I enter keyring in this search field. There is a “No result” message.

I always Sign and Encrypt. When you Sign, you prove to the recipient that you are who you are. Otherwise there is absolutely no evidence that the message actually comes from you. It is very easy to forge an email and pretend it originates from someone else. I’m sure you received spam that looks like it was sent by yourself in the past and that’s exactly the kind of forgery signatures prevents. When you encrypt, you make sure nobody else but the recipient can read your message.

1 Like

It’s probably something with mot de passe in it in french or gestionnaire de clés ?

The application name is seahorse and you can look for this keyword instead. It is not locale sensitive, I’ll fix the tutorial accordingly. Thanks a lot for the feedback :+1:

1 Like

:flushed:
Aheeem… it is…

I can’t go further since I don’t want to write to Antton Rouget for now but it is very very veeery long :slight_smile:
But working apparently

Feel free to spam mailto:loic@dachary.org instead :wink: